Health Care Reform has arrived
A lot of changes have happened during recent months. The Affordable Care Act is complex and it is difficult to understand how it affects you. That’s where the insurance professionals at Northwest Financial Insurance come in. We will help ease your uncertainty and help you understand something that is pretty complicated. We can help you make an informed decision about the coverage you and your family need and can afford. We are committed to being with you every step of the way.
Reform has brought many changes and options. Here are the essential ones you need to know about:
- Most people were required to have health insurance beginning Jan 1, 2014.
- If you don’t have insurance, you will have to pay a penalty when you file taxes.
- No one will be denied coverage due to pre-existing health conditions.
- Coverage is provided to everyone who applies. You can’t be charged more if you have health issues.
- All health insurers are required to offer a comprehensive package of benefits called “Essential Health Benefits”.
- Since most old plans did not meet the guidelines they were discontinued. Any plan sold now meets government standards.
- Some people qualify for tax credits and subsidies to help pay their premiums and out of pocket expenses.
- Eligibility is based on income level and family size.
Every year there is an open enrollment period during which you may shop and sign up for health insurance for the following year. If you miss that enrollment period you cannot purchase insurance unless you have a qualifying event such as losing group coverage, getting married, or moving. As licensed agents, we can help guide you through the options and select a plan that’s right for you. You don’t pay any more than if you were to buy directly from an insurance company or through the exchange.
Health Care Reform in Oregon
In Oregon we use the federal marketplace healthcare.gov
to enroll people who may qualify for tax credits and subsidies. There is a choice of different plans offered by many insurance companies. As affiliated agents with healthcare.gov
we can help you navigate through the website, determine eligibility for financial assistance and select an insurance plan to meet your needs.
Most insurance companies offer plans inside and outside the exchange. If you don’t qualify for financial help you may purchase your insurance wherever you wish.
Help to pay premiums and other out of pocket expenses is available. It depends on your income and family size. The federal marketplace will help determine if you are eligible for tax credits and subsidies. For example, individuals earning up to $45,900 or a family of four earning up to $94,200 may qualify for help to cover the cost of premiums. If you do qualify you MUST purchase your insurance through healthcare.gov
You are not alone…
The insurance landscape is changing quickly. Our goal is to help guide you step by step through the complexities of health care reform and make decisions that are right for you. We live and work right here in the Willamette Valley. You are always welcome to stop by our office or call us when you have questions or concerns – today, tomorrow, or a month from now. We’ll be here.
If you would like more information about health care reform, contact us.